Friday, June 29, 2018

Watercoloring + Markers = Magic!

Hello crafty friends!!!  It's Lisa here and I have had the awesome pleasure of taking a class through Altenew with Kelly Latevola... she is an amazing colorist/crafter!!!  Like seriously, my chin drops to my desk when I'm watching her videos.  With that being said my card is totally inspired and a lift of her card from Day 6 of her class...


This card features two ah-ha techniques I've never thought to do... 1) Color over watercoloring and 2) adding texture to the background rather than just color...

To create this card I started by stamping the flowers from the Beautiful Day Stamp Set by Altenew with My Favorite Things Hybrid Ink.  Before any watercoloring was done I then went over the area in between my flowers with the Altenew Leaf Burst Stencil with Altenew Dye Ink.  

The watercoloring on this card uses the wet on wet technique and is very free form... just the way I like it!  This means that I watered my background area first with just clean water and then dropped in various Distress Oxide Inks in blues.  I then added clean water to the floral areas and used my brush to drop in red, yellow, and purple inks on the flower images and greens on the leaves.

I was so excited with how vibrant the colors stayed that I didn't even need to go back over them, so I set the panel to the side to dry.  Once everything was dry I went over the images with slightly darker Spectrum Noir Markers.  I have never thought to use markers over my watercoloring, but I'm in love!  

For the sentiment I chose a small and scripty one from the GinaK Designs Scripty Sayings 1.  I love how elegant this looks going across the middle of my card.  As a few finishing touches I went over the edges with black ink and rhinestones.


I should also mention that all of this was done on watercolor cardstock.  Thank you so much for stopping by and I hope I've inspired you to maybe add some color over your watercoloring, or simply add texture to your white space with stencils... either way I appreciate you stopping by and wish you Happy Crafting!
Lisa

Supplies Used:
     



No comments:

Post a Comment