Tuesday, June 26, 2018

Sublime Underwater Shadow Boxes

Hi friends - Milene here once again!

I have another really fun project to share with you today, featuring Lawn Fawn products. I love the Lawn Fawn You Are Sublime stamp set so much! It has to be my favorite from the summer release. I love it so much, I had to stamp and color all of the images. Given that I had so many cute images to play with, I decided to create multiple projects. 


I have recently purchased the Lawn Fawn Shadow Box Card die and I was so excited to finally use it. Lawn Fawn has also released a really fun add on to the shadow box, the Ocean Add-On, that is all underwater themed! This new die set is on my wishlist but, unfortunately, I don't own it yet.


Putting the box together is very simple. You run the largest die through your die cutting machine twice. Be sure to use a good, strong cardstock for your box to stand up nicely. You'll want to die cut a window out of one of those two panels. If you choose to use the hills included in the die set, you'll want to add them before closing your box. I chose to use both hills on each of my projects, using a light craft cardstock to resemble sand. All you need to do is place double sided adhesive on the tabs and close it all shut! 


I decided to add the bubble pattern paper to the back of my little scene. The paper is from the Doodlebug Anchors Aweigh 6x6 paper pack. Right here was when I made my first mistake! I should have sealed my box prior to adding the pattern paper. Because I didn't, however, I had the tab showing on the inside of my card. I didn't want the tabs to show, so I used a strip of yellow pattern paper to cover it up. I didn't love it, but I also didn't want to start all over. Keep this in mind if you're adding anything to your background!


I also added pattern paper to both sides of my boxes, using one of the dies included in the set. I chose a striped design here. The sentiment on each card was my second "mistake". I stamped them all on the back of my boxes, coordinating to the images I had chosen. I think it worked out fine, but I wish I had stamped the sentiments on the hills of each scenes. That would have been more fun!


Moving on from my mistakes, comes the fun part! I watercolored all of my images and cut them out using my ScanNCut. Now it's time to add them to the shadow boxes. I moved them around a bit until I thought I had a substantial scene. I quickly realized I would need more little fish and decorations, so I stamped and watercolored some more. While those were drying, I added some finishing touches to my shadow boxes. I used a white gel pen to add little dots to the frames of the boxes and also used a black glaze pen on the eyes of the fish.


I placed my additional images to my cards and I was done! I hope you enjoy my underwater scenes and shadow boxes.

EDIT: I totally forgot to mention that some of my images were glued to a piece of thick acetate. I wanted to make them look as they were floating, or swimming. I used the heavier weight acetate I had in my stash for this, so that the images would hold up well. You'll be able to see the little strips of acetate in some of the pictures here! Most of my images, however, were glued down to the box itself or sand hills.



I would like to thank Jennifer once again for having me be one of the guest designers this month! I've had lots of fun during these few weeks and I'm very thankful for this opportunity.

If you would like to see my future projects, you can find me on Instagram.
Thank you for stopping by today and have a great day!


1 comment:

  1. Love this shadow box and stamp set. Not
    Much for Lawn Fawn but this is too cute

    ReplyDelete