Tuesday, December 4, 2018

Fleece Navidad

Hi, friends! Welcome to the Crafty Doodle Chick blog! This is Milene here today.

 I have an oversized card to share, featuring the cute sheep from the Newton's Nook Fleece Navidad stamp set!


About two weeks ago I shared a long skinny card using Gerda Steiner Designs images. Since I have a pile of long envelopes to use up, I am back again with a similar card design. This card measures 4 x 9.25 inches in total. The idea behind this project was to create a snowy scene for my herd of sheep. I thought it would be cute to have several of them piled up.

I started out by picking some Distress Ink colors for my sky. I chose Spun Sugar, Picked Raspberry and Seedless Preserves to create the gradiant effect. As you are able to see, some of the snowflakes seem brighter than others. To achieve that look, I made use of the heat embossing resist technique.

Prior to ink blending, I clear heat embossed snowflakes from both Fleece Navidad and Moose Mountain stamp sets, by Newton's Nook Designs. I then applied the first layer of ink blending to my piece. To achieve a better blend, I used Bristol Smooth cardstock.


In the meantime that the ink blending was drying, I decided to color my images. I used the same Bristol Smooth paper to stamp the sheep image several times. I watercolored them all using Tombow markers. The Wink of Stella pen was my chosen "brush" for blending the colors. I just love how it blends and the shimmer left behind! I do not have very many colors in Tombow Markers, so I chose two of my favorites for their hats and scarves. 

As I allowed the coloring to dry, I added more clear embossed snowflakes to my background. These will not be as bright as the first heat embossed snowflakes. That, to me, adds a look of dimension to the snowy sky.

I then added another layer of ink blending to intensify the color. To finish it off, I stamped a few extra snowflakes in Spun Sugar and Picked Raspberry Distress Inks all over the sky. Before assembling the card, I stamped the "Fleece Navidad" sentiment to the left bottom of the card front. I love the play on words here!


I had a scrap piece of paper from trimming out my card base. That same scrap piece was used to create the snow ground for my scene. I played around with stacking the sheep until I got the look that I wanted. I used a Jennifer McGuire technique to help me glue them all in place.

If you have never used Press and Seal in your craftroom, you should give it a try! All you do is press the plastic film material to your images and it will hold them in place. That way you are able to add the glue and flip them around all at once. Very quick and easy. The Press and Seal is reusable, too!

I accented the eyes of my sheep with a black glaze pen and added a little sparkle to their pom poms. I had trimmed out the ink blended piece and the strip leftover was so pretty, it could not go to waste. I added that to the inside of my card, along with die cut snowflakes from my stash.


That is all for me today! Thank you very much for stopping by and, if you have any questions, please leave them bellow.

See you next week!








No comments:

Post a Comment